The Blend is Greater than any of its Parts
This wine is based on the old wine saying that "the blend is greater than any of its parts". Using five classic varieties (Cabernet Sauvignon 47%, Merlot 18%, Cabernet Franc 16%, Malbec 11%, Petit Verdot 8%) adds even greater complexity and potential to age superbly. The style and overall character of the wine is of the highest order.
Each variety is picked at its own distinct maturity so maximising the flavour. Individual oak selection is tailored for each variety and matured as separate parcels. A detailed blending exercise is undertaken to bring about the desired complexity in the finished, blended wine.
The aromas are a complex of leafy Cabernet characters blended with plumy fruits and black spices from the Malbec and Petit Verdot. The palate explodes with rich dark fruits and herbal flavours and persists throughout the mid palate where it gathers further weight from the smokey French oak and dusty tannins. The silky finish allows the fruit flavour to continue throughout the palate giving great persistence and length. A classic wine with immense structure and longevity.
This wine is aged in selected French oak barriques for 24 months, which imparts a fine grain tannin structure and length.
To fully appreciate this wine, we recommend that it be decanted 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Only 250 dozen made so this is EXCLUSIVE and its quality and complexity have lead to a multitude of awards including:
- The 2006 Wilhelmus was awarded a Silver Medal at the 2009 London International Wine and Spirit Competition
- The 2006 Wilhelmus was awarded a Gold Medal at the 2009 Australian Small Winemakers Competition
- The 2005 Wilhelmus was awarded 94 Points in James Halliday's 2009 Wine Companion
- The 2005 Wilhelmus was awarded 91 Points in Robert Parker Wine Review in 2007
- The 2004 Wilhelmus was awarded 91+ Points in Robert Parker Wine Review in 2006
- The 2003 Wilhelmus was awarded 94 Points in Robert Parker Wine Review in 2005
- The 2003 Wilhelmus was awarded a five star rating (95 Points) in James Halliday's 2007 Wine Companion
- The 2002 Wilhelmus won the trophy at the London International Wine & Spirit Competition 2005 for the "Best Blended Red Wine"
- The 2002 Wilhelmus was awarded 91-94 points in Robert Parker'sWine Review in 2004
- The 2002 Wilhelmus earned a score of 95 points and was listed in James Halliday's Top 100 in 2004
- The 2002 Wilhelmus was awarded a silver medal at the 2004 Royal Adelaide Wine Show
- The 2001 Wilhelmus was awarded a gold medal at the 2004 International Wine & Spirit Competition, London
- The 2001 Wilhelmus was awarded a bronze medal at the 2004 Decanter World Wine Awards, London
- The 2001 Wilhelmus was awarded 91 points in Robert Parker'sWine Review in 2003
- The 2001 Wilhelmus was given a Five Star Rating in James Halliday's 2004 Wine Companion
- The 2001 Wilhelmus was awarded a top gold medal at the 2005 Winpac Wine Show, Hong Kong.