This is a Restricted Wine and is only available on request. Please email email@example.com if you wish to purchase.
About the Wine Maker
Castello di Verduno has a long history of Barolo wine since 1838, when the Castle was purchased by King Carlo Alberto of Savoy, and the King commissioned the soldier and expert winemaker, General Staglieno, with the making of a great wine from the finest vineyards of Verduno Castle.
In 1909, the Burlotto family purchased the castle and its estate from the House of Savoy, with a view to continuing the great winemaking tradition of the house of Savoy. However by 1950 the vineyards and castle had been reduced to a state of total abandonment. It was then that the grandson, Commendatore Giovanni Battista Burlotto returned home to Verduno after 15 years spent in Eritrea, In order to restore the castle to life, he decided to create a restaurant with accommodation facilities. After painstaking restoration work, he welcomed the first 15 guests to the castle in 1953.
Today, the Commendatore’s three daughters and their respective families passionately dedicate their time to the castle, now a hotel-restaurant, wine cellar and holiday farm combined into one.
About the Wine
The Monvigliero vineyard faces due south at an altitude of 280 metres. On account of its position and fine white marly soil, its quality is rivalled only by the Cannubi cru in Barolo throughout the entire growing area for this wine. The estate’s 0.3 hectares were replanted in 1969, and after very lengthy ageing in oak we obtain a Reserve Barolo with outstandingly delicate finesse on its bouquet and an elegance that will continue to be appreciated over time. If the grapes are not of the quality demanded from this vineyard, the wording Riserva is dispensed with.